Our main English services are held every Sunday from 4.00pm to 5.30pm. There is a concurrent children’s program known as the Shepherd’s Kidz which is held in the Kindergarten Block for children who are 12 years old and below. Our young people gather for Youth Explorer on Saturday evenings at 4.30pm in the Upper Hall.
The CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD (COGS) is Queenstown’s first Anglican Church.
Built at a cost of $60,000, the Church of the Good Shepherd was started by several local Anglican churches on a one hectare site at Dundee Road. Services were initially held in Mandarin and Cantonese due to the large number of Chinese worshippers. The foundation stone for the church building was laid in the August of 1959 by then Assistant Bishop of Singapore, The Right Reverend Roland Koh. The church building was officially opened on 31 January 1960 by then Bishop of Singapore, The Right Reverend Henry Wolfe Baines.
Services were initially held in Cantonese and Mandarin due to a large number of Chinese worshippers. Our English speaking service was established on 6 January 1963 by the Reverend Chris Ellison, who also started the youth congregation that same year.
Since its establishment, the church has played a social role in the community. On 18 January 1972, the Boys’ Brigade 9th Singapore Company was started by Reverend McSparron. During the 1960s, latchkey children were a common phenomenon and the Boys’ Brigade provided children in Queenstown with meaningful activities and the church’s playing field was a favourite hangout for the home-grown soccer team, Dundee United.
In the 1970s, under the guidance of Reverend James Wong, the English congregation engaged in planting churches in the many new housing estates that were popping up all around Singapore. Many Anglican churches, and even some independent churches today were the result of that season of church planting.
Today, Church of the Good Shepherd (English) has around 200 members, including youths and children.